Url's in LinguaPlone in Arabic

Janne Toivola
Hi,

I'm a Plone newbie and developing a bilingual Arabic-English site. I'm
using Plone 2.1.2 and LinguaPlone 0.9b.

Translating the contents of the site from English to Arabic works like a
charm with LinguaPlone. The only problem is that LinguaPlone generates
the url's of the pages from the page titles. This is a cool feature in
languages that use western letters but very uncool feature with arabic
contents, because the arabic url's can look something like:
http://domain.com/627644648635641-627644648635641/6276446396466486(...).

I would be more than happy with url's like domain.com/news-ar or
domain.com/ar/news - is there a simple way to change the way Plone
generates the url's?

I'm also interested in any comments on using LinguaPlone on anything
productive because it's still on beta stage.

Best regards,

Janne Toivola

Re: Url's in LinguaPlone in Arabic

lists-65
talking about Arabic and Plone the situation is not so good

If you can help with the translation of the main plone file
arabic for 2.1 - 34% and for 2.5 - 33%

also please check the right to left version of plone and update if you see
any bugs

thanks

Ofer Weisglass

> Hi,
>
> I'm a Plone newbie and developing a bilingual Arabic-English site. I'm
> using Plone 2.1.2 and LinguaPlone 0.9b.
>
> Translating the contents of the site from English to Arabic works like a
> charm with LinguaPlone. The only problem is that LinguaPlone generates
> the url's of the pages from the page titles. This is a cool feature in
> languages that use western letters but very uncool feature with arabic
> contents, because the arabic url's can look something like:
> http://domain.com/627644648635641-627644648635641/6276446396466486(...).
>
> I would be more than happy with url's like domain.com/news-ar or
> domain.com/ar/news - is there a simple way to change the way Plone
> generates the url's?
>
> I'm also interested in any comments on using LinguaPlone on anything
> productive because it's still on beta stage.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Janne Toivola

> language
> webcast
> territory!

Re: Url's in LinguaPlone in Arabic

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:43:39 -0900, Janne Toivola
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm a Plone newbie and developing a bilingual Arabic-English site. I'm
> using Plone 2.1.2 and LinguaPlone 0.9b.
>
> Translating the contents of the site from English to Arabic works like a
> charm with LinguaPlone. The only problem is that LinguaPlone generates
> the url's of the pages from the page titles. This is a cool feature in
> languages that use western letters but very uncool feature with arabic
> contents, because the arabic url's can look something like:
> http://domain.com/627644648635641-627644648635641/6276446396466486(...).
>
> I would be more than happy with url's like domain.com/news-ar or
> domain.com/ar/news - is there a simple way to change the way Plone
> generates the url's?

Yes, you can turn on short name editing if you want to control it
explicitly (there's no good way to represent Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese,
Chinese in ASCII, as far as I know).

You need to turn this on both in your site setup and in your member
profile for it to have an effect. An alternative is to use the "Rename"
action in the Actions pulldown menu to change the ID after you have
created the object.

Alexander Limi wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:43:39 -0900, Janne Toivola
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm a Plone newbie and developing a bilingual Arabic-English site. I'm
>> using Plone 2.1.2 and LinguaPlone 0.9b.
>>
>> Translating the contents of the site from English to Arabic works like
>> a charm with LinguaPlone. The only problem is that LinguaPlone
>> generates the url's of the pages from the page titles. This is a cool
>> feature in languages that use western letters but very uncool feature
>> with arabic contents, because the arabic url's can look something
>> like:
>> http://domain.com/627644648635641-627644648635641/6276446396466486(...).
>>
>> I would be more than happy with url's like domain.com/news-ar or
>> domain.com/ar/news - is there a simple way to change the way Plone
>> generates the url's?
>
> Yes, you can turn on short name editing if you want to control it
> explicitly (there's no good way to represent Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese,
> Chinese in ASCII, as far as I know).
>
> You need to turn this on both in your site setup and in your member
> profile for it to have an effect. An alternative is to use the "Rename"
> action in the Actions pulldown menu to change the ID after you have
> created the object.

Thanks, this seams to work.

However, I ran into another problem: When I create a new English page
and give it an id of "test" it works fine. When I try to translate it
into Arabic Plone seems to give it an id "test-ar", which is exactly
what I want. However, when I save the translation Plone still translates
the id into Arabic which gives an unwanted result!

When I edit the Arabic version of the page and give it another id in
English, it does what it's supposed to do.

A bug in the LinguaPlone?

Best,

- Janne Toivola

Re: Url's in LinguaPlone in Arabic

Dorneles Treméa (PSOL)
Hello Janne,

> However, I ran into another problem: When I create a new English page
> and give it an id of "test" it works fine. When I try to translate it
> into Arabic Plone seems to give it an id "test-ar", which is exactly
> what I want. However, when I save the translation Plone still translates
> the id into Arabic which gives an unwanted result!
>
> When I edit the Arabic version of the page and give it another id in
> English, it does what it's supposed to do.
>
> A bug in the LinguaPlone?

http://plone.org/products/linguaplone/issues/18

/me will try to find some time and organize that issue tracker...

       Dorneles Treméa · Developer · Plone Solutions · Brazil

Re: Url's in LinguaPlone in Arabic

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 04:36:12 -0700, Janne Toivola
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, I ran into another problem: When I create a new English page
> and give it an id of "test" it works fine. When I try to translate it
> into Arabic Plone seems to give it an id "test-ar", which is exactly
> what I want. However, when I save the translation Plone still translates
> the id into Arabic which gives an unwanted result!
>
> When I edit the Arabic version of the page and give it another id in
> English, it does what it's supposed to do.
>
> A bug in the LinguaPlone?

It's a remnant from the old system that added -xy to IDs that were not
specified. This is then overwritten with the autogenerated ID.

We should probably consider making the Short Name show up by default in
non-latin scripts like Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese etc. If you're
interested in sponsoring this (or contributing it), that would be
excellent.