Update re. World Plone Day 2010

Tim Knapp
Hi all,

Just an update re. World Plone Day 2010 in Wellington. Planning for the
event is coming along very well. The event T-shirt is done (thanks
Michael Dunstan!), talk lineup is finalised, and I just released the
first press release[1].

As this is a NZPUG Inc-run event, thought I'd better give you all
another opportunity to register for the event before all the spots get
taken (only 40 in total).

Again just FYI, the event-specifics are:
April 28th from 12:00-2:30pm at The Treasury department's offices in
Wellington. Registration for the event encouraged via the event's
website[2].

Thanks,
Tim

[1] http://bit.ly/atxv1d
[2] http://plone.org/events/wpd/2010/wellington-new-zealand

Re: [nzpug] Update re. World Plone Day 2010

Tim McNamara-2
Tim-

I know that Greater Wellington recently migrated from Plone to SilverStripe. It may be worth inviting them along to have a discussion about the reasons behind the move.

Just a thought,

Tim McNamara

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 16:16 +1200, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Tim-
>
> I know that Greater Wellington recently migrated from Plone to
> SilverStripe. It may be worth inviting them along to have a discussion
> about the reasons behind the move.

Unfortunately the schedule is already full up so I'll save that
discussion for another event.

Thanks,
Tim

> Just a thought,
>
> Tim McNamara
>  http://twitter.com/timClicks / http://identi.ca/timClicks
>

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Tim Knapp <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Hi all,
>
>         Just an update re. World Plone Day 2010 in Wellington.
>         Planning for the
>         event is coming along very well. The event T-shirt is done
>         (thanks
>         Michael Dunstan!), talk lineup is finalised, and I just
>         released the
>         first press release[1].
>
>         As this is a NZPUG Inc-run event, thought I'd better give you
>         all
>         another opportunity to register for the event before all the
>         spots get
>         taken (only 40 in total).
>
>         Again just FYI, the event-specifics are:
>         April 28th from 12:00-2:30pm at The Treasury department's
>         offices in
>         Wellington. Registration for the event encouraged via the
>         event's
>         website[2].
>
>         Thanks,
>         Tim
>
>         [1] http://bit.ly/atxv1d
>         [2] http://plone.org/events/wpd/2010/wellington-new-zealand

Re: [nzpug] Update re. World Plone Day 2010

Matt Halstead-2
I'd be quite interested in that. From what I have seen is people ditching plone are doing so in the Plone 2.* series, or Plone 2 sites migrated to Plone 3 but without any reformulation of the code underneath the site. Plone 3, 4, Zope 3, and friends such as dexterity, grok, deliverance are providing much cleaner and in my opinion less complex methods for building custom applications - but there is still some interesting fundamental differences between say Django, Ruby on Rails, and Plone that are significant. It could also be the whole offering of SilverStripe end to end in the development to end-user and ongoing unilateral evolution of the system that could be attractive.

.... maybe they want to come to drinks :-)

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 21:05 +1200, Matt wrote:
> I'd be quite interested in that. From what I have seen is people ditching plone are doing so in the Plone 2.* series, or Plone 2 sites migrated to Plone 3 but without any reformulation of the code underneath the site. Plone 3, 4, Zope 3, and friends such as dexterity, grok, deliverance are providing much cleaner and in my opinion less complex methods for building custom applications - but there is still some interesting fundamental differences between say Django, Ruby on Rails, and Plone that are significant. It could also be the whole offering of SilverStripe end to end in the development to end-user and ongoing unilateral evolution of the system that could be attractive.
>
> .... maybe they want to come to drinks :-)

Just sent a copy of the press release through to one of their
co-founders.

Maybe they will come along :)

-Tim