Transifex

Patrick Gerken
Hi,

I am playing with transifex for translating plone to german, and I am quite impressed.
Last time I looked at it, it had automatic svn integration and some usable UI, but apparently things have changed.

Nowadays I can import pot and po files and after that, I can configure transifex to automatically download newer versions from any url, for example the raw links from github.

Additionally, it provides a command line client that is already integrated in ubuntu repositories. With this command line client, I can download updated translations from transifex to my local machine. I can also upload new files, but I didn't try that.

With these features, we can decide to use transifex on a per language basis, without the need to implement anything special on github.

The Translation UI is also nice, it has keyboard shortcuts and it tries to offer suggestions for translations. I linked a screenshot I made while translating that gives a good example. This helps a lot to make consistent translations.​

Throw dirt at me if this is old news, but I was quite surprised by the functionality.

For completeness sake, I had to modify the plone.pot file locally because of a msg id with empty lines, and the po files downloaded with the command line client had not the right names and the directory structure did not match the one of plone.app.locales, but if that is not configurable I'd just script the renaming of updated po files.

Best regards,

      Patrick

Re: Transifex

toutpt

Hi,

the last time we try it we found many issues with the plone process other than just name of files but cab t remember it.

may be msgid with real id instead of english like label_title_id and the fact that generated file remove the comments that we use to provide context.

Vincent Fretin do you remeber other issues ?

it lakes quite a long time may be 2years so if you can spend times on this to assure we can use it for plone core and or addons it would ve very nice.

Le 17 mai 2013 18:15, "Patrick Gerken" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

​i,

based on the admix command of i18ndude, I created a trmerge command for i18ndude. Trmerge accepts two po files.
It takes the first po file as the base and updates all translations from the second po file. Translations existing only in the seconde po file are added too. Comments of any sort are kept.

Shortcomings so far:
Fuzzy translations stay fuzzy.
Its the job of the committer to ensure that transifex contains the latest version from github. Else one could accidentally override newer translations with older translations from transifex.
The file gets rebuild, formattings in it get lost. Long strings that have been broken into multiple lines become one string again, and the information gets or5dered in specific ways. If comments and code comments were ordered differently, i18ndude reorders them.; But the ordering is not random so doing the import twice will not result in many changes.

I added the i18ndude as the source to experimental/i18n.cfg and added an i18ndude part to install i18ndude.
I did not add i18ndude to autocheckout. If you want to try my changes, co and activate i18ndude locally.

i'd love to get comments on this. I am going to use the toolchain to update german translations.

Best regards,

       Patrick

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Based on the admix command of i18ndude, I created a trmerge command for i18ndude
trmerge accepts two po files.
It takes the first po file as the base, and updates all translations from
the second po file. Translations existing only in the second po file are
added too. Comments of any sort are kept.

Shortcomings I identified so far:
Fuzzy translations stay fuzzy.
Its the job of the committer to ensure that transifex contains the latest
version from github. Else one could accidently override newer translations with
older translations from transifex.
The file gets rebuild, formattings in get lost. Long strings that have
been broken into multiple lines become one string again, and the information
gets ordered in specific ways. If comments and code comments were ordered
differently, i18ndude reorders them. But the ordering is not random so
doing the import twice will not result in many changes.

I added i18ndude as the source to experimental/i18n.cfg and added an i18ndude part to install i18ndude.
I did NOT add i18ndude to autocheckout. If you want to try my changes, co and activate i18ndude locally.

I'd love to get comments on this. I am going to use the toolchain to update
german translations.

Best regards,

      Patrick

Quoting Patrick Gerken (2013-05-18 10:50:49)
> Yes, context info still gets lost in the po files. The importer only handles
> msgid msgstr and fuzzy.
>
> Am 18.05.2013 08:42 schrieb "Jean-Michel FRANCOIS" <[hidden email]>:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     the last time we try it we found many issues with the plone process other
>     than just name of files but cab t remember it.
>
>     may be msgid with real id instead of english like label_title_id and the
>     fact that generated file remove the comments that we use to provide
>     context.
>
>     Vincent Fretin do you remeber other issues ?
>
>     it lakes quite a long time may be 2years so if you can spend times on this
>     to assure we can use it for plone core and or addons it would ve very nice.
>
>     Le 17 mai 2013 18:15, "Patrick Gerken" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I am playing with transifex for translating plone to german, and I am
>         quite impressed.
>         Last time I looked at it, it had automatic svn integration and some
>         usable UI, but apparently things have changed.
>
>         Nowadays I can import pot and po files and after that, I can configure
>         transifex to automatically download newer versions from any url, for
>         example the raw links from github.
>
>         Additionally, it provides a command line client that is already
>         integrated in ubuntu repositories. With this command line client, I can
>         download updated translations from transifex to my local machine. I can
>         also upload new files, but I didn't try that.
>
>         With these features, we can decide to use transifex on a per language
>         basis, without the need to implement anything special on github.
>
>         The Translation UI is also nice, it has keyboard shortcuts and it tries
>         to offer suggestions for translations. I linked a screenshot I made
>         while translating that gives a good example. This helps a lot to make
>         consistent translations.​
>         [icon_10_ge] Screenshot from 2013-05-17 18:05:39.png
>         ​
>
>         Throw dirt at me if this is old news, but I was quite surprised by the
>         functionality.
>
>         For completeness sake, I had to modify the plone.pot file locally
>         because of a msg id with empty lines, and the po files downloaded with
>         the command line client had not the right names and the directory
>         structure did not match the one of plone.app.locales, but if that is
>         not configurable I'd just script the renaming of updated po files.
>
>         Best regards,
>
>               Patrick

>         AlienVault Unified Security Management (USM) platform delivers complete
>         security visibility with the essential security capabilities. Easily
>         and
>         efficiently configure, manage, and operate all of your security
>         controls
>         from a single console and one unified framework. Download a free trial.
>         http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d

Re: Transifex

Patrick Gerken
Hi,

I found a usable workflow that allows managing translations with both transifex and via git/github.

It means that one person is responsible for transifex/github synchronisation.

The following is my setup:

I work on a personal fork of plone.app.locales.
I add the collective repo as a different remote, I name it original.
I use the transifex client, the configuration has been adapted that the files it generates are in the right directory, but with a tx prefix.
I use my custom i18ndude script with the trmerge command.

The following warnings are important:
tx pull and push will silently override changes.
This dictates a specific ordering. One cannot get changes from github and push them into transifex and then get the updates from transifex into github.

The workflow:
# 1. Get newest translations from transifex
tx pull

# 2. Merge translations with i18ndude
for file in `ls plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES | grep -v tx_`
do
  i18ndude trmerge plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES/$file plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES/tx_$file > /tmp/lala
  cp /tmp/lala plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES/$file
done

# 3. Manually check all changes

# 4. Fetch changes from the original
git fetch --all

# 5. Merge with original remote
git merge original/master

# 6. Push changes upstream (To my private repo)
git push

# 7. Do a pull request in github, check again, Merge there

# 8. Copy the git translation files to the transifex translation files, and push them into transifex
for file in `ls plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES | grep -v tx_`
do
  cp plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES/$file plone/app/locales/locales/de/LC_MESSAGES/tx_$file
done
tx push --translations --language=de

Done.

This looks like a bit of work, but parts of it can be automated.

I think think this is already quite solid, but requires somebody dedicated to maintain these steps for his language(s).

What do you think?

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Patrick Gerken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>         Throw dirt at me if this is old news, but I was quite surprised by the
>         functionality.
>
>         For completeness sake, I had to modify the plone.pot file locally
>         because of a msg id with empty lines, and the po files downloaded with
>         the command line client had not the right names and the directory
>         structure did not match the one of plone.app.locales, but if that is
>         not configurable I'd just script the renaming of updated po files.
>
>         Best regards,
>
>               Patrick

>         AlienVault Unified Security Management (USM) platform delivers complete
>         security visibility with the essential security capabilities. Easily
>         and
>         efficiently configure, manage, and operate all of your security
>         controls
>         from a single console and one unified framework. Download a free trial.

Transifex now retrieves updated pot files directly from github.