Setup of translation environment

Arnór Kristjánsson
Hi,

Some time ago I started translating Plone to my language. This was
with version 2.1. I also installed i18ndude and some tools mentioned
in http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n/rebuild-pots

After translating a whole lot of strings version 2.5 came out and now
I wanted to update, but I have since forgot how to do it. The how to
in http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n/rebuild-pots doesn't help
much because
a) I'm not running Windows; Mac OS X is my work environment
b) I'm not hosting on the computer I'm translating on; debian is my
hosting environment.

My quesion is: How do I set up the environment correctly given my
circumstances? How would setenv.sh look like? What other things do I
need to be aware of? Do I need to have plone set up on my laptop to
be able to check my translations?

A.

Re: Setup of translation environment

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:25:14 -0700, Arnór Kristjánsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I started translating Plone to my language. This was
> with version 2.1. I also installed i18ndude and some tools mentioned
> in http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n/rebuild-pots
>
> After translating a whole lot of strings version 2.5 came out and now
> I wanted to update, but I have since forgot how to do it. The how to
> in http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n/rebuild-pots doesn't help
> much because
> a) I'm not running Windows; Mac OS X is my work environment
> b) I'm not hosting on the computer I'm translating on; debian is my
> hosting environment.
>
> My quesion is: How do I set up the environment correctly given my
> circumstances? How would setenv.sh look like? What other things do I
> need to be aware of? Do I need to have plone set up on my laptop to
> be able to check my translations?

All of these instructions would work the same way on both OS X and Debian,
the only difference is the path names. You'll have to fill in the paths
here, but instead of:

set PYTHON=D:\zope2\Python\python.exe
set I18NDUDE=D:\zope2\Data\Products\i18ndude\i18ndude
set INSTANCE_HOME=D:\zope2\Data
set SOFTWARE_HOME=D:\zope2\Zope\lib\python

You would do:

export PYTHON=/path/to/your/python (use 'whereis python' if you don't know
where it is located, in general this line is likely unnecessary on OS X
and Debian, since Python is already in the path)
export I18NDUDE=/path/to/where/you/put/i18ndude
export INSTANCE_HOME=/path/to/your/zope/directory
export SOFTWARE_HOME=/path/to/lib/python/inside/your/zope/directory

Does this help? Or did I not understand the question? :)

       Plone Co-Founder · http://plone.org · Connecting Content
   Plone Foundation · http://plone.org/foundation · Protecting Plone

On 28.6.2006, at 03:27, Alexander Limi wrote:

> export PYTHON=/path/to/your/python (use 'whereis python' if you
> don't know
/usr/bin/python
> where it is located, in general this line is likely unnecessary on
> OS X
> and Debian, since Python is already in the path)
> export I18NDUDE=/path/to/where/you/put/i18ndude
Fair enough...
> export INSTANCE_HOME=/path/to/your/zope/directory
This is a remote server. Plone and Zope are not installed on the Mac
OS X Computer, hence my question:
>> Do I need to have plone set up on my laptop to
>> be able to check my translations?

> export SOFTWARE_HOME=/path/to/lib/python/inside/your/zope/directory
Ditto

> Does this help? Or did I not understand the question? :)

Re: Setup of translation environment

Hanno Schlichting-2
Hi.

Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I started translating Plone to my language. This was
> with version 2.1. I also installed i18ndude and some tools mentioned
> in http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n/rebuild-pots

You don't need these tools unless you are a product developer.

> After translating a whole lot of strings version 2.5 came out and now
> I wanted to update, but I have since forgot how to do it.

What exactly do you want to update? Do you have po files stored locally
that you want to synchronize with the pot files in the Subversion
repository? We usually do this syncing for you, as it is non-trivial ;)
If you have updated translation files that you want to check in I can do
the syncing for you beforehand.

> My quesion is: How do I set up the environment correctly given my
> circumstances? How would setenv.sh look like? What other things do I
> need to be aware of? Do I need to have plone set up on my laptop to
> be able to check my translations?

Forget about setenv and the tools. If you have trouble getting them to
work they are not meant for you ;) They would allow you to synchronize
your po files yoursel, but usually you don't have to do this anyways, if
you commit your work in small steps whenever you have translated something.

Checking your translations in a test Plone site is a good idea. You
don't have to have Plone set up on your laptop to do this, you can copy
the files to a remote server as well and test them. Just copy your
updated files to the PloneTranslations/i18n folder and restart the Zope
instance. Then check your translation through-the-web.

Hope this helps a bit,
Hanno