Quantcast

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Ed Manlove-2
Ed Manlove wrote:

> To all RTL Plone admins/developers/users,
>
> I've recently fixed a few RTL bugs under Plone 3.2. A release candidate
> version is scheduled to be posted sometime in the next few days with a
> final 3.2 release scheduled near the end of November.  It was my hope to
> have 3.2 work very well using RTL languages.
>
> If you are interested in helping out by reviewing recent changes or
> reviewing RTL bugs please contact me.
>
> Ed

With 3.2rc1 now released and no more pending RTL changes for final 3.2
release, I wanted to review the state of RTL Plone under 3.2. Three
major issues were resolved. They are

   4632    RTL: Livesearch results box is messy
   8169    RTL-Profile and personal preferences should be on the left
   8505    RTL.css should have higher precedence

The resolution for the last issue, 8505, also resolved several minor RTL
issues. These include

   7191    Logo should be on the right side
   7194    Search box is not align to the left

Similar to the issue presented by 8505 under Plone was an css
precendence issue under NuPlone, 7177.  This issue

   7177    NuPlone needs RTL improvements

was resolved along with a few related issues

   7187    Nu Plone - Calender should be on the left side
   7196    Personal bar should be align to the right
   7197    Bars are not align to the right
   8193    the portal text is not aligned right

Finally, several minor RTL issues were resolved under 3.2 including

   4576    RTL: Site Icon
   6214    RTL- personalize_form - Adding my portrait
   6366    RTL- comment icon overlaps the header text
   6919    RTL-Welcome text is out of the text area
   8140    info bar is not aligned right

To summarize, the 3.2 release of Plone and NuPlone should have some
noticeable improvements to its RTL functionality.

Ed Manlove wrote:
> With 3.2rc1 now released and no more pending RTL changes for final 3.2
> release, I wanted to review the state of RTL Plone under 3.2. Three
> major issues were resolved. They are
>

> To summarize, the 3.2 release of Plone and NuPlone should have some
> noticeable improvements to its RTL functionality.

I should note that credit for these improvements includes Denis Mishunov
(spliter) who has resolved several RTL issues, Ofer Weisglass who has
contributed language expertise and advice,  Mohsen Moeeni, Houda
Lamkahkah, Maurits van Rees and Hanno Schlichting who helped me along
with the plone-core contribution process and answered several questions
along the way.

Ed

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:35:13 -0800, Ed Manlove
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ed Manlove wrote:
>> With 3.2rc1 now released and no more pending RTL changes for final 3.2
>> release, I wanted to review the state of RTL Plone under 3.2. Three
>> major issues were resolved. They are
>>
>> To summarize, the 3.2 release of Plone and NuPlone should have some
>> noticeable improvements to its RTL functionality.
>>

> I should note that credit for these improvements includes Denis Mishunov
> (spliter) who has resolved several RTL issues, Ofer Weisglass who has
> contributed language expertise and advice,  Mohsen Moeeni, Houda
> Lamkahkah, Maurits van Rees and Hanno Schlichting who helped me along
> with the plone-core contribution process and answered several questions
> along the way.

Cheers, all! Very nice work, I just tested it in Hebrew, and it does
indeed look much nicer.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:49:28 -0800, Alexander Limi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cheers, all! Very nice work, I just tested it in Hebrew, and it does
> indeed look much nicer.

I think I've found a bug, whenever I install a new product, the CSS
registry gets updated, and for some reason this activates the RTL CSS for
non-RTL sites, which looks decidedly strange.

Ed, can you check if you can reproduce this? Happy to dig into it more if
you can't reproduce.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 00:59:57 -0800, Wichert Akkerman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously Alexander Limi wrote:
>> I think I've found a bug, whenever I install a new product, the CSS
>> registry gets updated, and for some reason this activates the RTL CSS
>> for
>> non-RTL sites, which looks decidedly strange.
>
> In which codebase? Did you submit a bugreport we can track for the 3.2
> release?

It might have been related to a missing migration step, I can't reproduce
it with a fresh instance of 3.1.7 nor in 3.2.

If there's an explicit migration step that adjusts this, I'll assume that
was the problem.

Alexander Limi wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 00:59:57 -0800, Wichert Akkerman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Previously Alexander Limi wrote:
>>> I think I've found a bug, whenever I install a new product, the CSS
>>> registry gets updated, and for some reason this activates the RTL CSS
>>> for
>>> non-RTL sites, which looks decidedly strange.
>> In which codebase? Did you submit a bugreport we can track for the 3.2
>> release?
>
> It might have been related to a missing migration step, I can't reproduce
> it with a fresh instance of 3.1.7 nor in 3.2.
>
> If there's an explicit migration step that adjusts this, I'll assume that
> was the problem.

It could be a migration issue if there is any css re-registration. I
just now getting a chance to look at this. So I look at possible issues
here.

What is really strange is the fact that it turned on RTL.

Ed

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Weisglass Ofer
Hi All,

Thanks to everybody for all the hard work and now Plone supports RTL very well

The list in limi's update email is long and great to see it getting close and working same as the english
as Plone will be clear to RTL as it is to left to right people.

Next stage is to translate many products and all the documents.

My company is working on a brand new user guide in Hebrew and Arabic and it will be published during 2009.

Please take a look on http://www.plone-rtl.org with donation by Nidelven IT  for hosting the website
which should be the central place for all RTL related issues and support - both for plone core and for the products
and also for companies to publish their RTL work and solutions (contact us for more updates or screenshoots if you have)

I wish we can make translation of Plone and products right away from the web/Plone itself
this can run the translation much faster

The last big bug to fix is still Limi, Alan and all other Plone people tour visit to Israel as promised

Limi - your reservation in north Israel is waitng only for the date ;-)

Ofer Weisglass

Also please note for the credit for fry-it for helping and supporting the translation of Plone
(The effort will be published in the new few weeks)

Ed Manlove wrote:

> Alexander Limi wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 00:59:57 -0800, Wichert Akkerman
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> In which codebase? Did you submit a bugreport we can track for the 3.2
>>> release?
>> It might have been related to a missing migration step, I can't reproduce
>> it with a fresh instance of 3.1.7 nor in 3.2.
>>
>> If there's an explicit migration step that adjusts this, I'll assume that
>> was the problem.
>>

> It could be a migration issue if there is any css re-registration. I
> just now getting a chance to look at this. So I look at possible issues
> here.
>
> What is really strange is the fact that it turned on RTL.

Briefly looking at this I don't see anything.  If you see this again
I'll re-look at it.

Ed

Re: RTL Languages Experts and RTL Plone Users

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:33:19 -0800, Ed Manlove
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Briefly looking at this I don't see anything.  If you see this again
> I'll re-look at it.

I think it was that missing migration step. I guess it's worth keeping in
mind in case people report it happening after 3.2 goes out.

Thanks for looking at it, and for your work on RTL improvements!

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net