LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field values?

LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field values?

Raphael Ritz
Hello again,

getting over the first hurdles, I start to like LinguaPlone! ;-)

So here are my next questions:

1. Is there any way to supply different default values for, e.g,
string fields in the schema declaration so that when making
a translation TTW this new translation get's a sensible
default to begin with?

2. What would be considered best practice to achieve the
following: Whenever a new instance of a particular
LP-aware content type is created TTW, the canonical
as well as a configurable number of translations are
generated. Override 'manage_afterAdd'?

Thanks again.

Raphael

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field values?

Dorneles Treméa (PSOL)
Hi Raphael,

> getting over the first hurdles, I start to like LinguaPlone! ;-)

yeah, happened the same with me... :-)

> So here are my next questions:
>
> 1. Is there any way to supply different default values for, e.g,
> string fields in the schema declaration so that when making
> a translation TTW this new translation get's a sensible
> default to begin with?

I guess this could be easily done setting the field 'default_method'
parameter to point to a method in the instance, and letting this
method decide and return the initial default value.

> 2. What would be considered best practice to achieve the
> following: Whenever a new instance of a particular
> LP-aware content type is created TTW, the canonical
> as well as a configurable number of translations are
> generated. Override 'manage_afterAdd'?

For this particular use case, seems The Right Thing To Do™... :-)

Thirty-two-hours-awake'ly yours,

       Dorneles Treméa · Developer · Plone Solutions · Brazil

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field values?

Marie Robichon
Hi,

this is exactly what I am trying to do, however it is not clear to me
what method I should point to.  I have tried :

def setDefaultText(self):
        """determines the default text according to language"""
        if self.isTranslation():
            text="texte en francais"
        else :
            text="text in English"
        return text

and also tried testing the value of getLanguage()and setLanguage() but
none of these seem to work when editing the translation TTW.

Any pointers will be very welcome from a Plone newbie

Best regards

Marie Robichon

Dorneles Treméa wrote:

> Hi Raphael,
>

>>getting over the first hurdles, I start to like LinguaPlone! ;-)
>

> yeah, happened the same with me... :-)
>

>>So here are my next questions:
>>
>>1. Is there any way to supply different default values for, e.g,
>>string fields in the schema declaration so that when making
>>a translation TTW this new translation get's a sensible
>>default to begin with?
>

> I guess this could be easily done setting the field 'default_method'
> parameter to point to a method in the instance, and letting this
> method decide and return the initial default value.
>

>>2. What would be considered best practice to achieve the
>>following: Whenever a new instance of a particular
>>LP-aware content type is created TTW, the canonical
>>as well as a configurable number of translations are
>>generated. Override 'manage_afterAdd'?
>

> For this particular use case, seems The Right Thing To Do™... :-)
>
> Thirty-two-hours-awake'ly yours,

European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
6 rue Jules Horowitz
38043 Grenoble Cedex
France
www.esrf.eu

Marie Robichon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is exactly what I am trying to do, however it is not clear to me
> what method I should point to.  I have tried :
>
> def setDefaultText(self):
>        """determines the default text according to language"""
>        if self.isTranslation():
>            text="texte en francais"
>        else :
>            text="text in English"
>        return text
>
> and also tried testing the value of getLanguage()and setLanguage() but
> none of these seem to work when editing the translation TTW.

Did you also point to this method in the schema, like

    StringField('text',
                 default_method='setDefaultText',

Raphael

> Any pointers will be very welcome from a Plone newbie
>
> Best regards
>
> Marie Robichon
>

> Dorneles Treméa wrote:
>
>> Hi Raphael,
>>

>>> getting over the first hurdles, I start to like LinguaPlone! ;-)
>>

>> yeah, happened the same with me... :-)
>>

>>> So here are my next questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Is there any way to supply different default values for, e.g,
>>> string fields in the schema declaration so that when making
>>> a translation TTW this new translation get's a sensible
>>> default to begin with?
>>

>> I guess this could be easily done setting the field 'default_method'
>> parameter to point to a method in the instance, and letting this
>> method decide and return the initial default value.
>>

>>> 2. What would be considered best practice to achieve the
>>> following: Whenever a new instance of a particular
>>> LP-aware content type is created TTW, the canonical
>>> as well as a configurable number of translations are
>>> generated. Override 'manage_afterAdd'?
>>

>> For this particular use case, seems The Right Thing To Do™... :-)
>>
>> Thirty-two-hours-awake'ly yours,

> files
> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=clic

Re: Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Marie Robichon
yes here are the bits:

    StringField('signatoryFunction',
                searchable=True,
                default_method="setFunctionText",
                widget = StringWidget(
                    description = "",
                    description_msgid = "help_note_signatory_function",
                    label = "Note signatory",
                    label_msgid = "label_note_signatory_function",
                    i18n_domain = "plone")),

    def setFunctionText(self):
       """determines the default text for the function according to
language"""
       if self.getLanguage()=='fr':
           function="Directeur de l'Administration"
       else :
           function="Director of Administration"
       return function

or

   def setFunctionText(self):
       """determines the default text for the function according to
language"""
       if self.setLanguage()=='fr':
           function="Directeur de l'Administration"
       else :
           function="Director of Administration"
       return function

or

   def setFunctionText(self):
       """determines the default text for the function according to
language"""
       if self.isTranslation():
           function="Directeur de l'Administration"
       else :
           function="Director of Administration"
       return function

I manage to get the i18n translation bits to work, tho'.

TIA

Marie

Raphael Ritz wrote:

> Marie Robichon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is exactly what I am trying to do, however it is not clear to me
>> what method I should point to.  I have tried :
>>
>> def setDefaultText(self):
>>        """determines the default text according to language"""
>>        if self.isTranslation():
>>            text="texte en francais"
>>        else :
>>            text="text in English"
>>        return text
>>
>> and also tried testing the value of getLanguage()and setLanguage()
>> but none of these seem to work when editing the translation TTW.
>

> Did you also point to this method in the schema, like

>    StringField('text',
>                 default_method='setDefaultText',
>
> Raphael
>

>> Any pointers will be very welcome from a Plone newbie
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Marie Robichon
>>

>> Dorneles Treméa wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Raphael,

>>> yeah, happened the same with me... :-)

>>> I guess this could be easily done setting the field 'default_method'
>>> parameter to point to a method in the instance, and letting this
>>> method decide and return the initial default value.

>>> For this particular use case, seems The Right Thing To Do™... :-)
>>>
>>> Thirty-two-hours-awake'ly yours,

>> log files
>> for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
>> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=clic

Marie Robichon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Web Group ([hidden email])
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
BP 220
38043 Grenoble Cedex
France

http://www.esrf.fr

Tel: (33) 04 76 88 21 86
Fax: (33) 04 76 88 24 27

European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
6 rue Jules Horowitz
38043 Grenoble Cedex
France
www.esrf.eu

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Dorneles Tremea
Hello Marie,

> yes here are the bits:
>
>     StringField('signatoryFunction',
>                 searchable=True,
>                 default_method="setFunctionText",
>                 widget = StringWidget(
>                     description = "",
>                     description_msgid = "help_note_signatory_function",
>                     label = "Note signatory",
>                     label_msgid = "label_note_signatory_function",
>                     i18n_domain = "plone")),
>
>     def setFunctionText(self):
>        """determines the default text for the function according to
>        language"""
>        if self.getLanguage()=='fr':
>            function="Directeur de l'Administration"
>        else :
>            function="Director of Administration"
>        return function

the above code snipped works *exactly* as expected with a quick
test that I just run... Do you have any problem in special?

Note that depending on LinguaPlone settings your content is
created with neutral language (language='') and not with the
current language. This is configurable at the Language Tool.

PS: The default_method was called 10 (yes, ten!) times on object
initialization, but that's another problem... Sidnei, are you
listening? Do you have some time to dig into this particular
issue, as you did with the reindex problem?

--

Dorneles Treméa
X3ng Web Technology

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Marie Robichon
Hi Dorneles,

thanks for testing this for me.  My problem is that the French text is
never picked up as the default text for the field in the creation form:
not when I create the Note first as a French (canonical?) version then
translate it into English nor when I create the English note first then
translate it into French.

However once the two notes are created if I add setFunctionText to the
url to run the method I get the correct strings.  Does this mean that
before the object is actually created by the factory it doesn't have the
language attribute?

My default language is set as 'en'in the language tool so I don't think
thats the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Marie

France
www.esrf.eu

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Marie Robichon
As a reply to my last mail : I set the function  to display the
getLanguage function as the default text (should have thought of doing
this beforehand !)- the value isn't initialised on display of the
creation form but afterwards...

Should I perhaps be asking this to the LingauPlone guys?

Marie

Marie Robichon wrote:

> Hi Dorneles,
>
> thanks for testing this for me.  My problem is that the French text is
> never picked up as the default text for the field in the creation form:
> not when I create the Note first as a French (canonical?) version then
> translate it into English nor when I create the English note first then
> translate it into French.
>
> However once the two notes are created if I add setFunctionText to the
> url to run the method I get the correct strings.  Does this mean that
> before the object is actually created by the factory it doesn't have the
> language attribute?
>
> My default language is set as 'en'in the language tool so I don't think
> thats the problem.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Marie
>
> Dorneles Treméa wrote:

European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
6 rue Jules Horowitz
38043 Grenoble Cedex
France
www.esrf.eu

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Alexander Limi
Administrator
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:30:59 -0800, Marie Robichon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should I perhaps be asking this to the LingauPlone guys?

Dorneles *is* one of the LinguaPlone guys. ;)

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Marie Robichon
<blush>my apologies</blush>

gosh its so hard sometimes to be a newbie...... ;)

France
www.esrf.eu

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Dorneles Treméa (PSOL)
Hello Marie,

> > thanks for testing this for me.  My problem is that the French text is
> > never picked up as the default text for the field in the creation form:
> > not when I create the Note first as a French (canonical?) version then
> > translate it into English nor when I create the English note first then
> > translate it into French.
> >
> > However once the two notes are created if I add setFunctionText to the
> > url to run the method I get the correct strings.  Does this mean that
> > before the object is actually created by the factory it doesn't have the
> > language attribute?

exactly, this behavior is crontrolled by the 'Create content initially
as neutral language' flag at language tool, which currently is enable
by default (but we probably will disable it anytime soon). IOW, the
content is created with no language set.

> > My default language is set as 'en'in the language tool so I don't think
> > thats the problem.

The default language isn't used when the 'start as neutral' is enabled.

> As a reply to my last mail : I set the function  to display the
> getLanguage function as the default text (should have thought of doing
> this beforehand !)- the value isn't initialised on display of the
> creation form but afterwards...

Bingo! Disable the neutral flag and try again.

> Should I perhaps be asking this to the LingauPlone guys?

Dorneles, aka deo, nice to meet you... ;-)

HTH,

       Dorneles Treméa · Developer · Plone Solutions · Brazil

Re: Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Marie Robichon

>exactly, this behavior is crontrolled by the 'Create content initially
>as neutral language' flag at language tool, which currently is enable
>by default (but we probably will disable it anytime soon). IOW, the
>content is created with no language set.
>
>The default language isn't used when the 'start as neutral' is enabled.
>
>Bingo! Disable the neutral flag and try again.

Hi Dorneles,

sorry to be dim but I can't find this neutral flag option in the
language tool : I have unchecked *all* options, ie

Allow combined language codes like de-de or en-uk.
Display flags for language selection (May be politically sensitive in
some areas).
Use language codes in URL path for manual override.
Use cookie for manual override.
Use browser language request negotiation.
Force different urls for each language (redirect).
Allow content language fallback if the implementation supports it.

(it is also unclear to me as a newbie what most of these options
actually mean)

and English is set as the default language.

yet I still don't get a value in the default text box (set to display
getLanguage() )

thanks

Marie

France
www.esrf.eu

Re: LinguaPlone: multilingual defaults for field

Dorneles Treméa (PSOL)
Hello Marie,

> sorry to be dim but I can't find this neutral flag option in the
> language tool : I have unchecked *all* options, ie
>
> [snipped your current PLT config]

there's no need to sorry, it's new stuff (in fact it wasn't yet
released) and currently still lacks of documentation.

You'll need a recent PloneLanguageTool version, the yet-to-be-
released 0.9, available at Collective SVN[1,2].

I'm not sure, but probably you'll also need a more recent
LinguaPlone version. A new release is planned to happen during
this week, then the code will be donated to the Plone Foundation
and will also be available at Plone SVN repository.

[1] http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/PloneLanguageTool/trunk
[2] http://trac.plone.org/collective/browser/PloneLanguageTool/trunk

       Dorneles Treméa · Developer · Plone Solutions · Brazil